I just signed up for Secret Pal 10! It sounds like so much fun! Here are my answers to the questionnaire:
1. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with? What fibers do you absolutely *not* like? Acrylic is not one of my favorites because that’s all I ever knew until last year when I started knitting. I quickly found knitting forums and knitting blogs and then discovered LOCAL YARN SHOPS! I never knew! I really love soft, worsted yarns in merino, alpaca, bamboo… especially if they are in rainbow colorways or greens/blues.
2. What do you use to store your needles/hooks in? Sadly, a large, plastic Herr’s peanut butter pretzels container. I’m always having to take all my needles out to find the one I need.
3. How long have you been knitting; how did you learn? Would you consider your skill level to be beginner, intermediate or advanced? My husband’s grandmother taught me the English method a little over a year ago, but I kept dropping the needles and I was really slow. Then I watched Knitty Gritty and saw there were really fast knitters who used other methods, so I taught myself the continental method. Now I don’t drop my needles! I believe I’m somewhere in the intermediate level.
4. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list? Yes
5. What’s your favorite scent? Cassini perfume — that is intoxicating! Lilies, magnolia, honeysuckle, daffodils…
6. Do you have a sweet tooth? Favorite candy? I love chocolate anything.
7. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do? Do you spin? No, I don’t spin, but I really want to learn. I crochet, though I don’t do that very much since I learned to knit. I have done some cross stitch on occasion, but that gets tedious to me anymore.
8. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)? I listen to contemporary Christian praise & worship. Jason Upton is my favorite, but I only have two of his CDs now because I gave the other four to my pastor.
9. What’s your favorite color(s)? Any colors you just can’t stand? Emerald green, aqua, teal… colors that remind me of the ocean and trees are my favorites. The only colors I really don’t like are country blue and mauve.
10. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets? Married, 2 sons (5 year old with type 1 diabetes, and a 13-year-old), 1 black lab/doberman, 2 cats, 1 sun conure, 1 fish.
11. Do you wear scarves, hats, mittens or ponchos? I have a pair of leather gloves that I wear when I go out. My hair is long & fine so I don’t wear knit hats because I get static electricity too much. Don’t have a scarf or a poncho, but I think ponchos are very cool and I would probably wear one of those. I’ve always wanted one of those Mexican blankets that I saw people wearing at Disney in January… they look WARM! (And to me… warm is good!!!) My mousing hand is always freezing as I sit here at the computer, so I’m thinking a pair of wristlets or arm cozies are going to be on the needles within the next couple of months.
12. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit? I like to knit hats, although I have yet to knit one that fits me properly. I made a felted bag and that was a fun experience; that could be my favorite so far. I haven’t really been through the range of items that can be knit yet, but I like to make items that are functional and mostly quick knits. Socks are on the menu, but I’ve never done them yet. As soon as I do though, I’m sure I’ll be hooked.
13. What are you knitting right now? A chunky scarf for me, and a scarf for my teen.
14. Do you like to receive handmade gifts? Yes!
15. Do you prefer straight or circular needles? Bamboo, aluminum, plastic? Bamboo or wooden for slippery yarns, but I’m not picky. I’ll use whatever’s available. When I didn’t have small the right size circulars or DPNs, I learned how to do magic loop circular knitting. I adapt most of the time.
16. Do you own a yarn winder and/or swift? Neither
17. How old is your oldest UFO? Crocheted UFO – at least 10 years! Knitted UFO – only a couple of weeks.
18. What is your favorite holiday? That’s a tough one… Easter, because it’s in the spring; my favorite time of year.
19. Is there anything that you collect? Yarn at the moment! 🙂
20. Any books, yarns, needles or patterns out there you are dying to get your hands on? What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have? I may have to edit this post after I think about it for awhile. Koigu (sock?) yarn has piqued my interest because I’ve read so much positive feedback about it. Knitting books by Cat Bordhi & Barbara Walker (especially about socks), and knitting books about new techniques. I have no knitting magazine subscriptions at the present time.
21. Are there any new techniques you’d like to learn? Dying & spinning, knitted lace, perfecting hats and how to knit socks, intarsia, mosaic, fair isle, mobius… etc. etc… I’ve only knitted in the round once for the green hat I made for the getstitchy! KAL. (You can read about that experience here in my blog.) Actually, I’d like to learn everything about knitting that I possibly can throughout the coming year. I’ve got big goals, I know!
22. Are you a sock knitter? What are your foot measurements? Not a sock knitter yet, but I hope to be really soon. My foot is a size 8 1/2-9.
23. When is your birthday? August 5, 1970